Each student writes, directs, and edits one short film and/or one documentary film
The final short and/or documentary will be submitted to the Cinema at the Edge Film Festival.
The first six weeks are devoted to the study of four primary elements of filmmaking: writing, directing, cinematography, and editing. To apply the concepts they learn in class, students write, produce, direct, and edit two short film exercises, using DSLR cameras, Low lighting packages, and digital editing software.
In the second six weeks, each student writes, directs, shoots, and edits a short film of up to six minutes with multiple tracks of sound including ambience, sound effects, and voiceover.
Throughout the program, students meet with instructors for one-on-one consultation.
The course culminates in a screening of the students’ final films, which is open to cast, crew, family, and friends. Upon the successful completion of the course, students take home a digital master copy of all their projects.
- Learn the basics of visual non-fiction and fiction storytelling.
- Train in the underlying skills necessary for documentary production: producing, research, story development, interviewing, writing, cinematography, sound recording and editing.
- Learn the fundamentals of digital video shooting, sound recording and editing.
- Study the history and stylistic range of the documentary genre with a focus on film language, techniques, aesthetics, structure and other elements of cinematic storytelling.
- Master the craft of visual non-fiction and fiction storytelling.
- Study the underlying skills necessary for documentary production: producing, research, story development, interviewing, writing, cinematography, sound recording and editing.
- Expand and enrich knowledge of digital video production and digital editing.
- Master the art of the pitch, and learn to produce high integrity, commercial non-fiction television programming.
- Students will be instructed in how to package and submit films for festival consideration and distribution.
- Edit, color correct, sound mix and screen one short film, one documentary television series, one “sizzle reel” 5-10 minute long
- Conceive, develop and pitch one short film, one documentary television series, one “sizzle reel” 5-10 minute long
- Collaborate in the production, editing and pitch presentation of a 5-10 minute “sizzle reel” of a documentary television series
- Conceive, research, pitch, produce, direct, digitally edit and finish a thesis documentary of up to 30 minutes, to be presented at Cinema at the Edge Film Festival, travel the festival circuit.
|Sound||Cinematography and Lighting||Producing and Directing the Documentary|
|Editing||New Media/Self-Distribution||Writing/Non-Fiction Storytelling|
|Producing||Documentary Craft||Documentary Traditions and Aesthetics|
|Production Sound||Post-Production Sound||Graphics, Special Effects and Color Correction|